Moving to a new house is a great opportunity to get rid of junk and unwanted household items which have accumulated in dark corners, cupboards, attics over the years. Garage sales are an Australian institution, with seasoned garage sale chasers searching the advertising columns every weekend and seeking out bargains. Whether you hold a traditional garage sale or are readying for an online sale, your junk is certainly someone else’s treasure.
- First step, advertise your sale. Mention a few special items to attract attention.
- Put up signs outside and at the main intersections near your home. Clearly write the street address.
- Mark the price on each item beforehand or have tables sorted by price points, such as ‘Any item $10’
- Books, magazines, comics and old vinyl records can be sold by the box, depending on the quantity.
- Display your goods attractively on the driveway, where the light is good and where you can keep an eye on the activities.
- Keep your home off limits. If anyone asks to use the bathroom, point them to the nearest public toilet or Council park.
- Make sure you have plenty of small change ready from the start, with all coin denominations and notes.
- One person only should handle the cash and never leave the cash box unattended.
- Be aware – bargain hunters are out early, so be prepared to start the day.
Try a garage sale the next time you do a big seasonal house clean. You may be surprised by how much money you raise from what you thought was junk.